Christmas food that makes your dog sick

Much of what we eat at Christmas is not something to give to the dogs. It may therefore be wise to inform family and friends why they should keep the food for themselves during the Christmas celebrations. After all, a pair of praying dog's eyes can make anyone go weak. In fact, your dog could get really sick if it eats certain types of food from the Christmas table.

Christmas food that makes your dog sick

Fatty food

Christmas food is often both fatty and salty, which is not something that dogs thrive on. In fact, too much fat can lead to pancreatitis, which can cause stomach pains and vomiting.

Salt

Salt can poison your dog. Symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, stiffness, tenderness and cramps can result from your dog being poisoned.

Dough that ferments

Dough that ferments forms ethanol and can actually make your dog a little light-headed should it taste. An alcohol-poisoned dog may become wobbly but also risks more serious complications such as shock and unconsciousness.

Sweets and chewy gum

Candy and chewing gum with xylitol can increase the release of insulin and make the dog sick. This substance lowers your dog's blood sugar levels and symptoms of lethargy, vomiting, tremors, seizures and unconsciousness can result from poisoning.

Onion

Both raw and cooked onions contain the substance allicin, which is toxic to your dog. It can cause anaemia and symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting, seizures, loss of appetite and breathing difficulties.

Nuts

Nuts can get stuck in the throat or intestines and home first aid can make a big difference. Some nuts, such as bitter almonds and macadamia nuts, are also poisonous to dogs.

Gingerbread

Gingerbread and some other Christmas bakes with strong spices can give your dog stomach problems, so if you don't want to spend Christmas Eve scrubbing floors, the best tip is to skip the gingerbread for your pooch.

Pork and poultry

Pork and poultry meat that has bones, such as ribs, become porous when cooked and should never be given to dogs to chew on.

Raisins and grapes

Raisins and grapes may sound harmless but can actually cause dogs to develop the serious condition of kidney failure. It doesn't take very many grapes or raisins to make a dog sick.

When should I contact a vet?

Unfortunately, you don't always have time to see what your little friends are putting in their mouths, so it's always important to monitor your dog's wellbeing - and not just at Christmas. If your dog becomes lethargic, starts trembling, vomits or otherwise has a change in general condition, you should always contact a vet.

Worried about your dog? Contact a digital vet who can help you with advice when it's time to go to the animal hospital. As a Lassie insurance customer, you always have unlimited calls to digital vet.

Our app for Android and iOS

Level Up Your Pet Care Game: Get Our FREE App Now!

Packed with 300+ articles by certified vets and pet experts, our app it's your go-to resource for personalised advice on caring for your cat or dog. The more you learn, the happier and healthier your furry friend becomes and the more points you'll earn for exclusive discounts on Lassie products. Your pet's well-being is just a tap away! ūüď≤ūüźĺ
AppstoreGoogle Play

More articles